27th May 2019
When it comes to choosing mobile shelving, there are a number of factors to consider. Before settling on a system, you should give consideration to the following:
- The type of records or documents you intend to store.
- The quantity of what you intend to store (both now and in the near future).
- The amount of space available to you, and the layout of the area.
- How employees will access information.
- Whether there are any security/compliance requirements.
- Once all of this has been established, choosing the best mobile shelving for your business becomes a little bit easier.
- Lateral or compact: which is best?
Lateral mobile shelving involves cabinets which are positioned in rows, with one directly in front of another. The cabinets at the front can be quickly and easily rolled in either direction, allowing you to gain access to the shelves at the back of the configuration. These are ideal for businesses which have a lower volume of documents, or when space is at a premium.
With compact shelving, each cabinet slides on rails in a perpendicular direction to the shelving. Essentially, the entire row of shelving moves, creating new aisles between the rows to allow access to documents. A compact configuration is ideal for high-volume storage, and when you need to maximise the use of the storage space you have. Compact shelving is typically used by record offices and larger businesses.
1. Shelf movement choices
2. With mobile shelving, you’ll also want to give consideration to how the shelves actually move. The three options available are:
3. Manual – lateral configurations usually make use of manual movement. This involves the user physically sliding the shelves to access documents.
Mechanical – most compact units have a mechanical option which makes it easier to move the shelves, usually in the form of a wheel which can be turned in both directions to allow access to documents.
Powered – heavy duty mobile shelving installations sometimes make use of powered shelving, with buttons that control a motor which moves the shelves.
If you would like more information on the best mobile shelving configuration for your business, simply get in touch with the ShelfSpace team who will be happy to advise based on your requirements.